Description de l'offre
The Africa Rice Center (AfricaRice) is seeking a highly qualified Security Officer to be based at AfricaRice, Bouaké.
AfricaRice is a CGIAR Research Center – part of a global research partnership for a food-secure future. It is also an intergovernmental association of African member countries.
The Center was created in 1971 by 11 African countries. Today its membership comprises 26 countries, covering West, Central, East and North African regions, namely Benin, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Côte d’Ivoire, Democratic Republic of Congo, Egypt, Ethiopia, Gabon, the Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea Bissau, Liberia, Madagascar, Mali, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Republic of Congo, Rwanda, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Togo and Uganda. AfricaRice headquarters is based in Côte d’Ivoire.
Staff members are located in Côte d’Ivoire and also in AfricaRice Research Stations in Benin, Ghana, Liberia, Madagascar, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone and Tanzania.
The Security Officer will work under the guidance and daily supervision of the Head of Human Resources. S/he will be responsible for developing procedures to ensure physical safety of employees and visitors and overseeing and coordinating security efforts across the Center. Specifically, the incumbent will:
• Act as security focal point for all staff in Côte d’Ivoire and ensure security is maintained and updated;
• Identify security threats and advise the Head of HR on initiatives to mitigate them;
• Conduct staff briefings about security in collaboration with the Head of HR, ensure a dynamic security training frame is put in place for AfricaRice staff;
• Ensure security incidents and related ethical issues are investigated and resolved without further disrupting operations, and are conducted in a fair, objective manner in alignment with the organization’s values;
• Develop and maintain relationships with appropriate host country authorities on issues related to the safety and security of AfricaRice personnel;
• Monitor security related issues for travel and send alerts to staff or travellers;
• Oversee the system of monitoring security situation at all AfricaRice locations;
• Perform any other assignments from the Supervisor.
Education: University degree in Political Science, Military Science, Criminology, Security management, law, International Relations and related fields. Education in combination with qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of a University degree.
Work Experience: At least five (5) years of progressive experience in security or risk management, in a government, police, military, public or private sector context; Experience in providing strategic advice, analysis and recommendations on Security issues; Experience in a significant leadership role.
Key Competencies Required: excellent communication skills; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed; demonstrates a superior level of inter-personal skills needed to work effectively with a wide range of colleagues to achieve organizational goals; demonstrate emotional maturity; high integrity; strategic orientation with ability to act tactically, as required; global perspective, multi-cultural understanding and approach; strong negotiator / facilitator and consensus builder; leadership skills to provide direction to the management and professional staff within the organization as regard security issues; ability to effectively communicate within all levels of the organization, including briefing senior management on status of security issues; ability to conduct investigation.
Ability to communicate and write effectively in English and/or French, with a good working knowledge of the other language.
Terms and Conditions
• This is a regionally recruited position open to citizens from AfricaRice's member countries only.
• AfricaRice provides an attractive salary and benefits package and a collegial and gender-sensitive working environment.
• The initial appointment is for two years with the possibility for renewal.
• The retirement age for regionally recruited staff at AfricaRice is 60.
HOW TO APPLY:
Expressions of interest (a full CV + and supporting statement) including the names and addresses (telephone / fax / email) of three referees should be submitted online at the following address: