Food Security and Livelihoods Project Manager For Gambia
Action Against Hunger is a non-governmental organization that aims to provide solutions to hunger. Our mission is to save lives by eliminating hunger through prevention, detection and treatment of under-nutrition, particularly during and after emergency situations linked to conflicts or natural disasters. Action Against Hunger focuses on nutrition, health and healthcare practices; food security and livelihoods; water, sanitation and hygiene.
Action Against Hunger-Spain has been operational in Senegal since 2010 responding to both chronic and acute needs through a multi-sector strategy where Nutrition, Food Security and Livelihoods, Water, Sanitation and Hygiene activities are integrated to have a meaningful impact on people’s resilience.
Know objectives of Action Against Hunger-Senegal are to continue building reputation for nutritional expertise to deliver integrated Nutrition, WASH and FSL assistance in a new Senegambia Food Security and Livelihoods Project name KONKOBAYO. The objective of this project is to Improve the food and nutrition security of vulnerable communities, households and individuals in the targeted Districts of Upper River Region (Basse) and Central River Region (Kuntaur), Eastern Gambia. Action Against Hunger will worked with two local NGO Partners WASDA and WIG.
The FSL project manager will be responsible for planning and implementing of food security and livelihood program in adherence with Action Against Hunger and donor guidelines and standards, at a new base of Action Against Hunger in Republic of Gambia.
The position aims to implement EU-funded project in East of rural Gambia. This is 36-months Resilience project aimed at "Boosting the resilience capacities of local populations and actors in eastern Gambia in the face of the consequences of climate change ».
The FSL project manager is in charge the responsible for the correct design, implementation, monitoring, and reporting on current Action Against Hunger Food Security and Livelihoods projects in Gambia with partners.
The post has 3 aspects:
Main Objectives and tasks
- Good project implementation (qualitative and quantitative)
- Reinforcement of partners and partnership
- Insure good capitalization and diffuse the results to develop Action Against Hunger position in Gambia.
The main objectives and tasks will be as follows:
Objective 1: Understanding the food security sector in the area of intervention
- Understanding the food security sector in the area of intervention;
- Project implementation, follow-up and monitoring;
- Food security and livelihoods partnership development.
Objective 2: Project implementation, follow-up and monitoring
- Collect and analyze primary and secondary data related to the food security and livelihoods sector with partners during base line;
- Identify the needs of the most vulnerable populations through a literature review, and the design and implementation of relevant needs assessments;
- Ensure effective communication with stakeholders involved in food security (data sharing and brainstorming) and with local authorities involved in project definition and/or implementation.
Objective 3: Insure good capitalization
- Analyze and develop effective operational partnerships and oversight on the implementation and monitoring of project to ensure timely and effective implementation and financial management;
- Define program implementation modalities and methodologies (including, but not limited to technical specifications, identification and registration of beneficiaries, distribution and sensitization) MOU with partners;
- Produce regular internal and external reports for submission to supervisory staff;
- Follow up of project budgets and expenditure to ensure the effective and appropriate utilization of funds for each project within specified timeframes;
- Develop an adequate monitoring and evaluation plan linked with the relevant project indicators;
formalize the results in a report to be shared with supervisory staff.
Objective 4: Insure efficient coordination and good representation
- Document all steps of the project
- Produce analysis linked to intermediate and final report
- Plan workshop with partners to evaluate the impact of project and to measure how far from the goal the project is and how to reach the identified out put.
- Represent Action Against Hunger in relevant external coordination meetings (Technical Working Groups and Agriculture clusters/sectors);
- Ensure effective communication with stakeholders involved in food security (data sharing and brainstorming) and with local authorities involved in project definition and/or implementation;
- Report on protection issues observed in the course of implementation of Action Against Hunger project;
- Duties that are inherent to the position and requested according to missions’ needs and context;
- Liaise with local authorities, research institutes, partner organizations, NGOs, government bodies and clusters at base level;
- Coordinate with other technical departments (nutrition, water and sanitation) and support departments (log-admin, human resources).
Initiative and Problem-Solving Skills
Adaptability and flexibility
- Ability to capitalize on past experience and information available within the organization in order to become quickly self-sufficient;
- Ability to take initiative where appropriate to deal with difficulties encountered in daily work.
Motivation and Involvement
- Ability to adapt or change priorities according to the changing situation within a base/mission or the organization itself;
- Ability to work within a fluid situation (changes within the team, location of programs);
- Ability to live and work within a team and respect the rules of collective living.
Professionalism and Management
- Motivation and commitment to humanitarian ideals;
- Interest in involvement beyond the job assigned, i.e. active involvement in the ethos of the organization itself;
- Ability to integrate into the local environment including awareness of political and economic aspects of the country;
- Energy and stamina to withstand long working hours and often stressful conditions.
- Ability to conduct work in a professional and mature manner;
- Ability to deal with relations with local authorities as a representative of Action Against Hunger;
- Ability to manage local staff in a mature and impartial manner.
Our remuneration package:
- Master’s degree in agronomy or rural development;
- Further qualification in tropical agriculture or related subject preferred;
- Livelihoods program design and implementation, preferably in West Africa Knowledge in value chain management, PCM;
- At least 5 years field humanitarian experience;
- Fluency in reading, writing and speaking English;
- Ability to write donor reports and proposals in English;
- Open, creative, experienced, mature, responsible, flexible, culturally sensitive;
- Training and capacity building experience;
- Diplomatic and tactful, professional and transparent;
- Team spirit and good communication skills;
- Experience in managing people essential;
- Fully proficient in MS-Office, Outlook and Skype, familiarity with GIS and ODK an asset.
We offer immediate incorporation to a dynamic international network with very Competitive salary package with additional benefits to include:
Interested candidates should submit their applications with Cv, covering letter and two professional references th rough https://employ.acf-e.org/index.php/positions/view/1357/Food-Security-and-Livelihoods-Project-Manager- For-Gambia
Closing Date: 17th August 2018. Applications sent after the closing date and time will not be considered.
- Start date: As soon as possible;
- Work contract: first contract of 12 months according to Gambia's Labor Code;
- Career development opportunities with Action Against Hunger;
- Comprehensive medical cover for self and dependents;
- Opportunity to work in a good and friendly environment with a dynamic and motivated team;
- Position based in in Banjul with frequent trip to Basse
- Salary: according Action Against Hunger’s salary grill and Ngo’s experiences of the candidate.
Position opened to Gambia Nationals.