Description de l'offre
Description du poste
Vital Strategies, with headquarters in New York City, is an international public health organization. We develop and oversee programs to strengthen public health systems and address leading causes of morbidity and mortality, providing expertise in project implementation and management, strategic communications, epidemiology and surveillance, and other core public health capacities.
Our specific programs include road safety, obesity prevention, tobacco control, and activities to strengthen public health data systems and the use of public health data to guide policy and decision-making. Activities are based in low and middle income countries and cities in Africa, Latin America, Asia and the Pacific.
Vital Strategies is looking for a communication consultant to assist with reproductive health work in West Africa. The candidate will be responsible for supporting in-country partners working on maternal/reproductive health.
S/he will work with a designated partner organization to develop, plan, execute and evaluate an integrated communication strategy, including earned media, paid and social media, to shape public opinion around reproductive health in Senegal and Burkina Faso.
The consultant’s primary role will be supporting the in-country partner and ensuring that activities are carried out within agreed-upon timelines. S/he will also liaise with staff in the New York office to ensure that the in-country partners receive the capacity building and technical assistance they need.
The right candidate for the position will be fluent in French and English, with experience in strategic communication for advocacy and behavior change. S/he will be able to think creatively about how to position an issue to capture the attention of journalists, policy makers and the public. S/he can juggle multiple priorities and has terrific judgment, pulling in other team members and expertise from the larger team as required.
Experience in reproductive health would be an asset, as would an understanding of the political and media context in Senegal and/or Burkina Faso. The ideal candidate will be based in Dakar or Ouagadougou, with the ability to travel internationally and regionally. The consultancy term would be approximately one year, with level of effort of approximately 50%.
Scope of Service:
• Work with New York-based advisors and in-country partners to develop a detailed strategy to meet identified advocacy objectives.
• Work with country staff to develop pitch and campaign ideas, content for external affairs and social marketing campaigns
• Provide capacity building and mentorship to the in-country communication partner(s) as they implement the plan.
• Help the partner to recruit and supervise external vendors such as survey firms, PR, social media, media planners, and creative agencies.
• Help the partners with ongoing data collection to inform course corrections for the campaign.
• Liaise with the New York-based team, organizing regular meetings/calls as needed.
Qualification and Skill Set:
• BA or higher degree in public or media relations, journalism, or related field
• Two or more years of experience in health communication, public relations or public communication
• Professional-level fluency in French and English
• Interest in reproductive health
• Highly organized, attention to detail, independently motivated
• Strong verbal and presentation skills
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office computer programs
• Proficiency or aptitude for communication technology such as Facebook, Twitter,
• Great teamwork and “people” skills
How to Apply:
Email your CV and cover letter to Human Resources by November 30 at :